Monday, August 18, 2008

I am a visitor here...

So this has been kind of a rough weekend. All week I've been working on my psychology paper in fits and starts. It needs to be between 1500 and 2000 words and thus far I only have 263 and the research is just not coming together. I put that on hold today to work on my 30-50 minute presentation I have to give on Tuesday afternoon but I have a 3 hour break tomorrow that will hopefully lead to productivity. If it doesn't... well then tomorrow night will not be kicks and giggles.

Every time I start to feel settled, I get some sort of slap in the face, reminding me that I'm new here and only temporarily at that. I'm also hoping that what we were told about Aussies teasing b/c they love is true b/c otherwise I'd really start feeling bad about myself, given a lot of the things they say to me. I'm generally doing pretty well with the whole culture shock thing but the food is giving me problems. I'd really like something to be familiar that I actually like and are actual sustenance - not just m&ms.

Also, the fact that life is going on normally at home feels weird. Band camp has started for another year already - the first year I won't be there for championships since 2002 - and people are going back to AU and everyone else is starting on their adventures for the semester. People! Email me! I'd love to hear what's going on in your lives! And I swear I'll respond! On that note, it is sleeping time b/c I have class in 9 hours.

Interesting Oz Fact: No one seems to know what a heating pad is.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

:( hope the m&ms can hold you over until you discover a new american surprise. adam, kelsey, amanda and i are all moved in and sean arrives today... so the gang is pretty much here. we're really going to miss all of you folks, so you'd better as hell have a good time over there!